How Do You Dress an 11 Year Old?
I’ve been looking for a dress for my daughter’s fifth grade graduation. I don’t know if it’s the “off season”, but in most stores I can’t find any dresses and when I do… it seems like there are very few choices out there.
- The frilly, cotton candy, Easter parade dress which screams: it’s Spring !!!
- Every once in a while we find a beautiful and simple dress that doesn’t have sleeves. The school dress code requires sleeves for the graduation ceremony! None of the dresses I’ve seen so far have sleeves!
- Then there’s the cotton dress made of legging material that says this is great for lounging around the house or a casual day of hanging at the mall with my girlfriends.
- Not to be outdone, there’s the little strapless tafetta number just begging for a chance to attend the senior prom, and
- The occasional hoochie mama number with the saucy split up to there. She’s 11 not 30.
Now that I think about it, I can’t dress myself either! I’m too tall for petite sizes, too short for misses sizes, and nothing ever fits right. I don’t do dresses. Do I need to become a seamstress now? I never seem to have these problems with my son!
And furthermore, what’s with all these graduations? When I was in school, we graduated from middle school and twelfth grade. That was it. Now there’s pre-school graduation, kindergarten graduation, fifth grade graduation, eigth grade graduation, highschool graduation… The next thing you know, there’ll be a “I remembered to turn in my homework” graduation!
This is a pretty dress but
- It has no sleeves and
- She says it’s too frilly at the bottom. Doesn’t matter – I can’t find anything like it in the local stores so far. Wish me happy shopping!
What am I to do? Any suggestions on the dress situation?